Spinal disorders typically have one thing in common: back pain. While each spinal disorder is different, relieving the pain caused by the ailment is key in helping you recover and return to a normal, pain-free life. Today, we're going to talk about some of the common steps that can be taken to treat the symptoms of spinal disorders.
- Rest: Resting the back by stopping the activities that increase pain is one way to help relieve pain and give your back a chance to heal.
- Over-the-Counter Pain Medicine: An anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen can be helpful to reduce the discomfort caused by spinal disorders. Other pain relievers such as acetaminophen can also decrease the pain that is felt. Ask your back specialist which medication you should use and how often you should take it.
- Heat or Ice: Heating pads and/or ice packs can provide relief from back pain. Heat works to increase blood flow to an area to speed healing, while ice helps reduce swelling and other inflammation.
- Injections: Your doctor or back specialist may consider performing injections to control the back pain you have or to help reduce swelling.
- Surgery: Surgery is a permanent way to treat spinal disorders. While this option is much more invasive than the other options, it can be an effective solution. Some back problems can only be treated with surgery, while for other cases, surgery is performed when all other treatments have failed.
At SpineOne, our back specialists are dedicated to finding ways to end your back pain. No matter which spinal disorder you suffer from, we can work to find a solution that helps you. Call us at (303) 367-2225 to schedule an appointment, and remember, same-day appointments are available!